Member Photos and Profile Directory

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Member Photos and Profile Directory

Post by Rolf » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 pm

We've talked about how helpful it is to learn each other's namesa few times. But not everyone can come to coffee. As our numbers climb north of 200 with the return of summer riding, we need another way to get to know each other.

At the Club's request I've built a directory of member photos and profiles:

[Edit: 2019 Member Directory]

It is password-protected and hidden from search engines. The password is the answer to "What is the best drink after a morning ride?" (PM me if you need it spelled out for you.)

To kick things off, the gallery currently has photos of 143 members that I've mostly taken at coffee. I've also included a brief bio, based on what little I know about you. This process has left me feeling like a creepy high school yearbook editor / butterfly collector. But with the goal of a complete directory of all our members, I will continue to take photos and make things up about you. Unless of course you send me or put your own stuff up—which is highly preferred! :D

Directions to upload your own photo are found at the bottom of the gallery page, but also here:
  1. Find a JPG, GIF, or PNG format photo that mostly features your recognizable face (preferably without sunglasses.)
  2. Email your photo, bio, and your TS Forum name to tripleshot.cycling.photos@gmail.com.
  3. Alternatively, go to this link to upload your photo.
[Optional: before using the gallery's upload link, edit your photo file's caption or title metadata using a photo editor like Lightroom, Picasa, iPhoto, or Windows Photo Gallery. Start the caption text with your first name, followed by a brief bio, and finish with your TS Forum name in brackets. (e.g. "Rolf - I like to ride bikes. [Rolf]") The site will automatically add the caption text below your image and alphabetically sort you into the page by first name. I will then later add your full name in the title field to complete your profile.]

For as many changes or deletions as you like: tripleshot.cycling.photos@gmail.com. :D If you already have a profile and you post a replacement profile, I will delete the older one. I may also make small changes to your profile entries for formatting purposes.

After enjoying the profile directory, be sure to hit the links at the top of the page and explore the rest of the Tripleshot Cycling Photos site.

Thanks very much for your help. Now go peruse your headshot portfolio and hit us up! 8)
Last edited by Rolf on Thu May 23, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

John D

Re: Member Photos and Profile Directory

Post by John D » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Having told you that I thought that this was a dumb idea, I now have to admit I was totally wrong. Bravo Rolf!

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley

barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Rolf this is so cool! Thank you very much sir!!

I particularly love the 2009 photo of the cops for cancer group! Just Beautiful!!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa

Roland

Post by Roland » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:58 am

Hmmm..... the picture of Michael Lawless, he has his face covered, wearing sun glasses and a helmet...
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:09 am

Read the caption. Sometimes being an identical twin has its advantages...
Check out Tripleshot Cycling Photos.
See your latest Rivet newsletter for viewing password. Total photos and videos uploaded: 1655

mfarnham

Post by mfarnham » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Nice work Rolf! I've learned some new names!

Martin

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks to everyone who has posted using the gallery link above, or sent photos and bios to tripleshot.cycling.photos@gmail.com.

Keep 'em coming!
See your latest Rivet newsletter for viewing password. Total photos and videos uploaded: 1655

Ann

Post by Ann » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:22 am

Rolf, this is really great! I'd like to request that people include their Forum username in their bio because there are still a bunch that I don't know, and I've heard the same complaint from many other people. :)

We can keep it simple by appending something like this to the bio:

Forum: Ann

Thoughts?

L2R

Post by L2R » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 pm

I think that is a brilliant idea, Ann.
Shelagh

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Great idea, Ann. I'll figure out a solution for those already posted. I may have to ask for a few of our quieter members' handles on here (the forum shows 668 registered users. :shock: )

We're up to 76 member mugshots! Let's keep going. If you haven't sent in your photo and bio: tripleshot.cycling.photos@gmail.com.

The upload link has worked for a small number of folks. But people tend to struggle with the automatic caption thingy and end up emailing me anyway. It's probably more efficient to just use the email in the first place.

I should add that I really don't mind fiddling with your stuff as much as is needed. Don't be shy to send me three or four photos before settling on the one you like; or sending me changes to your bio, and then sending me more changes etc. etc.

Final note: many of you seem to like the semi-anonymity of sunglasses. While I've erred on the side of getting more photos up and not been all persnickety about it, shades can interfere with the recognition factor (recognition being the whole point of this exercise. 8) )

Lund

Post by Lund » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:07 am

Just a thought: should we limit the "member" photo/profile directory to faces who've actually ponied up and paid their 2018 membership dues?

At a quick glance through the current collection of pix, I counted several who hadn't yet paid their dues as of April 8.

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:40 am

When I first set this up, I was cross-referencing with the current membership list and including little bits of passive-aggressive snark in the non-member bios. :twisted: But on reflection, using this tool to name and shame didn't seem very "Tripleshot".

Still, y'know: feel free to out whomever you like. It is nearly May!

Here's the current membership list for easy reference—there are indeed several shocking omissions.

John D

Post by John D » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Lund wrote:Just a thought: should we limit the "member" photo/profile directory to faces who've actually ponied up and paid their 2018 membership dues?

At a quick glance through the current collection of pix, I counted several who hadn't yet paid their dues as of April 8.
Agreed. No need to name and shame, just email Rolf the names of the (cough) offenders, and have their photos removed.

Rolf - as to it not being a "very Tripleshot" thing to do, I would respectfully counter that riding with the club without having paid one's membership due is the truly "non-Tripleshot" part of the exercise.

John D

Post by John D » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Rolf wrote:I should add that I really don't mind fiddling with your stuff as much as is needed.
Let the inappropriate gifs from the cyclocross trolls begin. Or not. :wink:

mfarnham

Post by mfarnham » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Not to be argumentative, but perhaps a better strategy is to "welcome them into the fold" by putting them on Rolf's photo page and then point out that they're so included in the Tripleshot family that they really ought to become a member. In fact, the more people know the names of the scofflaws the harder for them to hide.

And there is a benefit to knowing the name of the rider next to you--regardless of their membership status.

The only problem is that most don't show up for coffee (or even the parking lot at the start). I dare Rolf to wait at the post-ride gather spot at BHP with a camera on Friday and catch photos of the A riders as they roll in from the Sprint. Then set Lund on them.

Martin

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Let the inappropriate gifs from the cyclocross trolls begin.
There is an easy way to fix this. Once we identify the non-dues-paying wankers in our midst, our president parades them in front of the whole assembled team. I can help by ringing my bell...

Claire

Post by Claire » Sun May 06, 2018 9:41 am

Hey, what happened to all the photos and bios? I just went to the SmugMug page and they weren't there...

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Sun May 06, 2018 11:45 am

Hmm... everything’s still visible to me using mobile versions of both Chrome and Safari in iOS 11.3.1, as both owner (admin) and as a guest using the viewing password. Everything also still looks hunkydory with gallery permissions when logged in using the Smugmug app.

Let me know if your issues persist over multiple platforms or after the usual fixes (power cycling, clearing your cache etc.) Thanks, Claire.

We’re nearing a hundred members and apparently a lot of folks are using the directory nearly every day to learn new names. Let’s keep the momentum going. Feel free at coffee to capture your buddies who are not yet included and send their mugs in. 8)

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Sun May 13, 2018 8:30 pm

We hit a milestone today: our 100th member profile! Congratulations, Steve:

Thanks to everyone who's been playing along with this project. I'm especially grateful to the many of you I haven't met before—for resisting the urge to metaphorically burn me with fire when I come over and say, "Hi, I'm Rolf. Nice to meetcha. Can I take your picture and put it on the Innernet?"

It's been fun to get to know so many cool new members (new to me only, in some cases.) This Club's got a great future.

Reminder: I remain very happy to take your emailed changes/additions to bios, photos etc. Don't hesitate: tripleshot.cycling.photos@gmail.com.

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Over the past five weeks, I've been populating a new 2019 Member Profile Directory by adding new members when I can find them at coffee, or by transferring each of your existing profiles over from last year's directory as you renew your 2019 membership.

Please take a moment to review your photo and bio and ensure they still identify you (some face-lifts are noticeable, Johny Tyre!) Please submit new bios, replacement photos, or requests for any changes at all to tripleshot.cycling.photos@gmail.com. (The 2018 Directory no longer shows up on the Photos site, but for now you can still find it here.)

If you don't see yourself transferred to the 2019 Directory, but you're sure you've renewed your membership: share your righteous indignation by email to tripleshot.cycling.photos@gmail.com. If you don't yet have a profile pic and bio, please follow the instructions on the gallery page.

Last year's directory had 147 profiles. So far, this year's only has 96. Info on how to purchase your 2019 membership is here. Nudge, nudge. :D

Viewing password for the entire photos site can be found in the latest Rivet newsletter, or can be learned by either sending me a personal message on the forum or asking an olde-timey member on a ride. Thanks all!