Since 2017, Ontario has switched their provincial youth race series from age groups to ability groups. Boys and girls race together in A,B,C,D,E categories by ability, not age. Riders and coaches and long term development experts have given the two Ontario series rave reviews, with greater participation, many more riders having fun, being engaged in racing, and progressing at their own rate.
That sounded like fun, so i asked around, and there's interest from organisers on Vancouver Island for an Island Series. So we can race lots without having to get on the ferry.
The provisional schedule for 2019 is being announced this weekend, and a brochure printed so we can talk it up with youth families at the Cross on the Rock Final and Provincial Championships.
Here's the schedule, subject to change.
1. Sunday, March 10, Broad Street Spring Semi Classic, 12-4, Highlands (near Victoria)
2. Saturday, April 6, Tripleshot Spring Fling, 12-3 Youth, (3-5 adults), Langford
3. Saturday, April 27, Tsolem River Road Race, 12-4, Comox Valley
4. Sunday, May 5, 12-4, Greater Nanaimo area, MIVA Youth Road Race
5. Sunday, May 19, Cherry Point Road Race, 12-2 youth (possibly adults after), Cowichan Bay
6. Saturday, June 8, GVVA Youth Meet, 10-12 novice clinic, 1-4 racing , Colwood,
7. Sunday, July 21 (or 28), Windsor Park Youth Criterium, 12-4, Oak Bay
8. Saturday (Sunday rain day) August 9th (10th rain day), Island Youth Road and Track Series Final, possibly August 16-17, 10-12 novice clinic, 1-4 racing, Colwood
There will be a brochure with the provisional schedule to hand out this weekend and talk up with youth families at COTR Final and provincials.
Please see me for copies if you want to help convince your island or mainland friends to come race.
For masters and adults, there's some discussion about adding masters or adult ability categorise at some of the sites. More to come.
1 post • Page 1 of 1