Who else suffers from Allergic rhinitis

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Steven

Who else suffers from Allergic rhinitis

Post by Steven » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:56 am

Dear Trippleshot friends,

With the milder temps and sunshine comes allergic rhinitis, and from a personal perspective, it sucks.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases ... nose-knows

Are there any Trippleshot members who also suffer the effects of allergic rhinitis in the spring and summer, and if so, do you have any suggestions that can help alleviate the symptoms so that I can enjoy riding my bike.

Thanks,

Steve

Gerry L

Re: Who else suffers from Allergic rhinitis

Post by Gerry L » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:59 pm

The best solution is to move away from Victoria to a place where there are no plants. I can start sneezing after rounding Clover point in the spring- must be a bush along the edge of the road. I find Pender island is another trouble spot.

The article you posted has all of the usual treatments. Antihistamines are usually effective for most individuals and steroid sprays are the next step. Decongestants are best avoided especially for older athletes. Keeping windows closed at home can help. Allergy shots have a decent success rate but are very time consuming.

Thee is a huge list of herbal and alternative medicine treatments some of which may help. Capsaicin sprays, Accupuncture, Ayurvedic mixes, butterbur, and Tinospora cordifolia may help but scientific (and safety) studies are lacking for most of them.

If the simple treatments are not effective then best to check with your family physician to confirm you have the correct diagnosis. There are other causes of the symptoms to consider especially if they resist treatment.

Gerry

mandreassen

Post by mandreassen » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:14 am

I discovered at an early age that I had hay fever, it's not fun but what works quite well for me is Claritin, I use the 24 hr non drowsy version. It can take a few days of use to start getting the symptoms under control. My worst symptoms are the itchy eyes and runny sneezy nose. For me, grass cuttings, birch/cottonwood and alder pollens are awful. Good luck!
Mark

Steven

Post by Steven » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 am

Gerry, Mark, thanks for replying to my post. I went to London Drugs on Monday afternoon and purchased:

1) NetiRinse 2-in-1 Nasal & Sinus Irrigation Kit
https://www.londondrugs.com/hydrasense- ... 92343.html

2) Aerius Allergy - Non-Drowsy - 24 hour
https://www.londondrugs.com/aerius-alle ... 30379.html

Since then the runny nose, red itchy eyes, and itchy throat and pallet have become more bearable. I have however developed what I believe to be an exercise induced chesty cough, which is great for clearing out muck, etc, but not for the over production of histamines and the demands this places on my immune system.

Once again, thank you.

Steve